Welcome everyone! The San Diego or Bust drive across America has officially begun.
Hereâ€™s what has happened thus far:
- 53 Washington D.C. area triathletes have checked-in, entrusting us with their race machines
- 53 bicycles have been loaded, packed, and secured in our 53â€™ foot Prime Inc. trailer pulled by a beautiful Peterbilt Prime Inc. truck
- The San Diego or Bust truck departed D.C. shortly after 8pm. Next stop Denver, CO!
- Mike took the night shift while Siphiwe and I slept
- Awoke on the Ohio / Indiana border
- Now weâ€™re driving along! 50 miles from St. Louis
Packing 53 bikes
Itâ€™s like a puzzle. While Siphiwe (Fitness Trucking / Prime Inc.) and Mike (driver for Prime Inc.) were meeting everyone as they checked in, I was swimming in cardboard and bubble wrap in the trailer. For those I was not able to meet, I am Zane Schweer, the Brand Marketing Manager for Jack Kane Custom Racing Bicycles. My hands are packing and unpacking your bike.
Itâ€™s more than wrapping your bike in bubble wrap and cardboard and placing it in the truck. You have to thrive with puzzles. The bikes are puzzle pieces that must fit together within strict spacing requirements. Different bike sizes, aero bars, saddle heights, saddle cages (the bane of my packing existence!), do not easily offer themselves to be packed â€“ 11-12 across. I had to find bikes that complimented each other to fit into a snug, safe, and secure position. Once each row of bikes was packed and secured with a load lock, I looked for bike that could potentially move and fastened them down with bungee cords.
A Couple Things I heard:
A couple things Iâ€™ve learned:
Be on the lookout for:
-Want to see previous tweets? See hashtags: #ITUSD
Zane, Kane Bikes